ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <>
Subject Re: Ant vs Maven vs Eclipse, IntelliJ, NetBeans – Exploring Incremental Builds
Date Thu, 01 Oct 2009 16:38:22 GMT
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:17 AM, David Booth <> wrote:
> We’re looking into incremental builds — trying to document the differences
> in popularity & productivity between using tools like Ant and Maven versus
> IDEs.  We haven’t seen a study like this before, and we’ve already received
> as responsible, so if you can take 2 mins to answer the 3 multiple-choice
> questions in this Google Form, we’d really appreciate it.

Personally I don't see how these answers can be significant without
more context like
* how long does a full build take;
* how long does a do-nothing incremental build taks (everything is up-to-date);
* how reliable is the incremental build (i.e. can it do fully accurate
dependency tracking on all build artifacts);
* whether this is Java only, or mixed native and Java code.
* targeted at "real" persons (developer builds), or server room
automated build bots (CI builds)

Just my $0.02. --DD

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: