ant-user mailing list archives

From Rafael Muneton <rafael_mune...@hotmail.com>
Subject Why Ant didn't compile my jsp's
Date Sat, 19 Sep 2009 01:02:08 GMT

Hello everyone:
I’m learning the Struts framework and in my first Web Application, that contains only a
JSP with the classic Hello World! Message, I have some problems.

I’m using Windows XP SP2 as the OS.
Apache Tomcat 5.5 as the web server.
Ant  1.7.1 and Java 1.6 SDK.

In my first steps I deployed my Hello.jsp into Tomcat using the Tomcat Manager and it seemed
OK but  the Hello.jsp  didn’t compile. So I googled my problem and someone told  me that
this job could be done by “ANT” not by “TOMCAT”. Therefore I downloaded and installed
Ant 1.7.1 and after several attempts it worked!

Using the command options   “ant compile” or “ant all” created the hierarchy directories
to be deployed into Tomcat, but again, my Hello.jsp  didn’t compile.

So one question is: Is this a job for ANT or for TOMCAT?

Somewhere I read that a JSP passes by two steps in the process:
The first one translates the Hello.jsp into a Hello.java     and    the second one converts
the Hello.java into a Hello.class.
How can I achieve this using ANT or TOMCAT?

Any ideas?
Thanks.
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/products/photo-gallery-edit.aspx