ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dalton, Tom" <tom.dal...@eds.com>
Subject RE: Wrapping up <env>?
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:08:43 GMT
Thanks, but I am not replacing the packaging solution, I am adding a common layer on top of
it in order to provide our developers a single interface to all the programs/libraries they
need to use. I am also providing a single deployment mechanism for these packages. The lack
of both of these things has caused us a lot of problems in the past, so this is an attempt
to solve the problem. As for binary packages, I use them where I am forced to, however I much
prefer to build packages from source, as that way we can, for example, build packages debug
if they cause problems.

My original question still stands...

Tom

-----Original Message-----
From: Francis GALIEGUE [mailto:fge@one2team.com]
Sent: 29 September 2009 12:46
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Wrapping up <env>?

<snip>

Depending on which distribution you use, you'd better make packages for your components, AND
first check whether binary packages already exist for your distribution.

I do this all the time with RPM: I build my packages only if necessary (otherwise, that's
dag.wieers.com - if you do use RPM, you should throw an eye there), make a virtual package
and all I have to do afterwards is "yum -y install thevirtualrpmname". One command, everything
installed.

Consider this before attempting to replace perfectly sensible, and working, packaging solutions.

--

Francis Galiegue
ONE2TEAM