ant-user mailing list archives

From Francis GALIEGUE <>
Subject Re: Proposal for improving Ant output (post-1.7)
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 19:59:20 GMT
On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 21:35, David Weintraub<> wrote:
> You're thinking about Ant as a programming language. You assume that Ant
> tries to execute your target, sees the depends, and then executes that
> first.

I have trouble with this analogy.

I'm not thinking of ant as a programming language at all. What you're
basically saying is that ant has no dependency tree, that is, it does
not unroll a stack of targets. Instead, it goes through all targets
and their dependencies and then constructs a list of targets to
execute, in that order, without even a reminder of what depends=""
existed in the original targets (but it does remember the if/unless).
This is how I understand it: ant has no "stack".

Well, that's a way to do things, but I don't see that as a
"programming language vs build system" analogy. Make pretty much

Francis Galiegue
Ingénieur système
Mob : +33 (0) 683 877 875
Tel : +33 (0) 178 945 552