ant-user mailing list archives

From "Wirth, Marc" <marc.wi...@sap.com>
Subject NPE in RuntimeConfigurable.maybeConfigure() via UnknownElement after upgrade to Ant 1.7
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:30:00 GMT
Hello,

After upgrading our environment from Ant 1.6.4 to Ant 1.7.1 we ran into NullPointerExceptions
with some of our custom tasks, something like:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.apache.tools.ant.RuntimeConfigurable.maybeConfigure(RuntimeConfigurable.java:390)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.RuntimeConfigurable.maybeConfigure(RuntimeConfigurable.java:349)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.handleChild(UnknownElement.java:568)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.handleChildren(UnknownElement.java:346)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.handleChild(UnknownElement.java:569)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.handleChildren(UnknownElement.java:346)
	at org.apache.tools.ant.UnknownElement.configure(UnknownElement.java:198)

Investigating the issue we found that we created nested UnknownElement instances in our implementation
without explicitly setting the project except for the "root" element. If we explicitly set
the project on each and every UnknownElement we create then the call to configure()succeeds.

I'm not sure if this should be considered a bug, but at least I couldn't find anything in
the documentation that this change was intentional. From the subversion repository this might
be a side effect of change 450605 (http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=450605
) but I didn't verify this in detail.

Googling around for the exception I only found an older thread in the JetBrains Developer
Community ( http://www.jetbrains.net/devnet/thread/265263 ) without a solution for the issue,
though.

Did anybody else experience problems with this? Should I open this as a bug?

Best regards,
Marc