ant-user mailing list archives

From Michael Ludwig <...@as-guides.com>
Subject Re: Proposal for improving Ant output (post-1.7)
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 17:05:23 GMT
Ernst de Haan schrieb:
> Michael Ludwig-4 wrote:

>> That said, there is a potential for using less screen real estate.
>> I would see that as an improvement. It may be a matter of taste.
>
> True, it is on one hand a matter of taste, but on the other hand it is
> related to how much data humans can process in a given time span.

I very much agree with you. Less is more. But not everybody may think
so. The screen, I think, is for executive summary, althemore as both
screen size and screen buffer size are not infinite. The gory details
may go to the logfile.

>> I regard the Knoppix boot screen as formally perfect for terminals.
>
> Now you're implicitly bringing up something else, which is colored
> output. That would be very nice indeed for terminals that support it.

Colored, well-structured, nicely animated. Too good to be true. Probably
out of reach for a cross-platform tool.

> Taking the same approach, something similar [to progressbars] could be
> built into Ant. But then it would need to know how much time a target
> is expected to take.

This is not how I fancy progressbars. The uses has to supply some clues
as in the great Perl module Term::ProgressBar and in the example I gave
here:

Ant - Users - Progessbar on the console?
http://www.nabble.com/Progessbar-on-the-console--td24103052.html

--
Michael Ludwig