ant-user mailing list archives

From David Weintraub <>
Subject Re: Use ANT to stop / start a java service wrapper (JBoss)
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 15:55:20 GMT
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Scot P. Floess<> wrote:
> You can probably also script it using beanshell vs writing an external Java
> application.

Just a word of warning: To write beanshell scripts, you need to add in
bsf.jar and bsh.jar into your $ANT_HOME/lib which makes your build
process a bit less portable. See:

Personally, I prefer a Java program to a Beanshell script. Both are
pretty much identical in syntax and effort to write. But unlike
Beanshell, the environment here probably already has the tools to
compile a Java program and execute it.

But, for me, the biggest reason for choosing Java over Beanshell is
quite simple: If I use Beanshell, it's part of the build.xml file, and
I am the one stuck writing the task and getting blamed when it doesn't
work. However, if insist upon a  Java program, a developer gets stuck
with the task and the blame when it doesn't work.

David Weintraub

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message