ant-user mailing list archives

From "Scot P. Floess" <sflo...@nc.rr.com>
Subject Re: Use ANT to stop / start a java service wrapper (JBoss)
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2009 17:36:50 GMT

Oh wow - yeah Ivy is the way to go...  Truth be known, with Ivy I can't
quite see the need for Maven at all...  I use Maven at work - but I've
always felt like it tries to be too many things at once.

So for me, I use Beanshell and Ant Contrib mostly...  Here is my ivy.xml:

<ivy-module  version = "2.0">
     <info  organisation = "Keros"  module = "main"/>
     <dependencies>
         <dependency  org = "ant-contrib"  name = "ant-contrib"
rev = "1.0b2"/>

         <dependency  org = "bsf" name = "bsf"
rev = "2.4.0"/>
         <dependency  org = "bsh" name = "bsh"
rev = "2.0b4"/>
     </dependencies>
</ivy-module>

In my build.xml I do this:

     <!--
         Ivy definition...
     -->
     <taskdef  resource = "org/apache/ivy/ant/antlib.xml"  uri =
"antlib:org.apache.ivy.ant"  description = "Needed to use ivy." >
         <classpath>
             <fileset  dir = "${keros.ivy.HOME}"  includes = "*.jar"/>
         </classpath>
     </taskdef>

     <ivy:resolve   type = "jar"  file = "${keros.ant.HOME}/ivy.xml"/>
     <ivy:retrieve  type = "jar"  file = "${keros.ant.HOME}/ivy.xml"
pattern = "${keros.dependency.HOME}/[artifact].[ext]"/>

I'm not using any pom files directly at all - Ivy is doing all the work
for me...

I have had some trouble using FindBugs and at the moment am including it
with my stuff...  But other than that - I've had to do very little to make
Ivy work...  And never have I had to mess with a pom file ;)

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, David Weintraub wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Scot P. Floess<sfloess@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>> Of course I am also using Ivy - so it is downloading Jars for me :)
>
> I really need to look at Ivy and see if I can get it working.
>
> I understand the ideas of Maven: You merely describe your project. You
> don't have to worry about how to do the build.
>
> However, I've found the reality to be quite different. We spend more
> time tweeking pom.xml files to get them to build the artifacts than it
> would take me to write out the damn build.xml file in the first place.
> Even worse, our developers "don't have time" to learn Maven, so I, the
> build engineer am still doing the grunt work.
>
> If I can get Ivy to manage the jar dependencies, that would eliminate
> about 90% of the reason for Maven's existence.
>
> --
> David Weintraub
> qazwart@gmail.com

Scot P. Floess