ant-user mailing list archives

From Rez P <>
Subject Building with JDK 1.3. Which version of ANT?
Date Thu, 30 Jul 2009 03:48:16 GMT

I'm going back in time and have to compile and old java project with JDK 1.3.  Currently I'm
using Ant 1.7 and JDK 1.5 for all my projects. So when I wrote a build.xml for the jdk 1.3
code and in the compile target, using javac ant task, and set the 'source' or 'target' attributes
to 1.3, I got errors that were not very clear to me, something like switch back to...  Does
this mean I am using the wrong version of Ant and have to switch to 1.6 or earlier versions?

C:\Temp\old_project>ant compile
Buildfile: build.xml

   [delete] Deleting directory C:\Temp\old_project\build

    [mkdir] Created dir: C:\Temp\old_project\build\WEB-INF\classes\lib

     [echo] Copy jar files ...

     [echo] Building java classes ...
    [javac] Compiling 220 source files to C:\Temp\old_project\build\WEB-INF\classes
    [javac] Modern compiler not found - looking for classic compiler

C:\Temp\old_project\build.xml:66: Cannot use classic compiler , as it is not available.
 A common solution is to set the environment variable JAVA_HOME to your jdk directory.
It is currently set to "C:\Progra~1\java\jdk1.3.1_20\jre"

Total time: 0 seconds

Thanks for your help.