ant-user mailing list archives

From Rez P <pon...@hotmail.com>
Subject Tokenizing Property Files
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 23:10:57 GMT

What's the right way to use token replacement for my Ant builds?

We have a few files common to all environments and currently maintain a set of these files
per environment -- xml files, property files, and a web.xml per environment not identical.
 The files contain mostly static information except such variables as the urls or db connection
and usrid/pw which change per environment.  Currently we retain a few sets of these files
per environment, e.g. db.connections.qa, db.connections.uat, web.xml.qa, web.xml.dev, etc
& their corresponding ant value in build.xml would be db.connections.${env}, where env
equals qa, dev,  etc, and then I pass the qa or uat  parameters to the build.xml during the
Ant compile process as -Denv=qa and generate a war file with their corresponding property
files and web.xml per environment.

Would it be better, for the sake of automation consistency or cleanliness, for files whose
values do vary per environment, to come up with one base or master file, such as db.connections
or web.xml, and some of the values in each file which change for each environment to have
token values @UID@ or @PASSWORD@, etc. And each master file has 3 or 4 environment related
property files holding the actual values?

What's the best way to address this issue?

Thanks