ant-user mailing list archives

From Jim Garrison <Jim.Garri...@troux.com>
Subject RE: Clarification on definition of "reference"
Date Wed, 03 Jun 2009 15:40:21 GMT
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
> Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 3:03 AM
> To: user@ant.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Clarification on definition of "reference"

Stefan, thanks very much for the reply.

Part of my confusion came from trying to understand an existing build
that I just took over, in which there were some <ant> calls where
references were visible in the sub-ant WITHOUT inheritRefs=true.

The build was running on Ant 1.6RC1, and stopped working when I
upgraded to 1.7.1.  Adding inheritRefs="true" in various places
fixed the problem.  Unfortunately this build system is so complex
that I suspect it is self-aware :-) Each sub-build "includes" the
same init task but then suppresses its execution based on a variable
(... unless="init.done"), so figuring out what was actually executed
is tricky.

This may have been a bug in 1.6RC1, but you have confirmed that 1.7.1
is behaving as documented so I don't see a lot of value in trying to
recreate the problem with a simple set of build files in 1.6RC1.

Thanks