ant-user mailing list archives

From Dean Schulze <dean_w_schu...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Replacing build.xml with Build.java - Doing Ant builds directly from Java
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2009 16:48:12 GMT

I anticipate using a simple build.xml with different targets to kick off the Build.java file
passing in whatever parameters correspond to different targets.  The heavy lifting would
be done by the Build.java.  build.xml would be used for parameter passing and for integration
with Eclipse.

Ant build scripts make simple things like an if .... else difficult and things like changing
the value of a property impossible.  Simple things can be done in xml I only anticipate using
build.xml to invoke the Build.java.

--- On Thu, 6/11/09, Cole, Derek E <derek.e.cole@lmco.com> wrote:

From: Cole, Derek E <derek.e.cole@lmco.com>
Subject: RE: Replacing build.xml with Build.java - Doing Ant builds directly from Java
To: "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>
Date: Thursday, June 11, 2009, 9:41 AM

You are correct that there is very little documentation on the subject, other than a few small,
simple examples on the net.  It seemed like one of the responders in that link you posted
was implying that he spoofed the tasks he needed to use? That seems like quite a bit more
work than would be necessary. When I have used ant from java, it was primarily to control
dependencies, but I still had underlying build.xml files that individual targets were called
from, using the java program to control when, handle errors, etc.

Derek