ant-user mailing list archives

From Dale Anson <dan...@grafidog.com>
Subject Re: Replacing build.xml with Build.java - Doing Ant builds directly from Java
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:13:30 GMT
For if/else, try/catch, and changing the value of a property, all you
need is either antcontrib (ant-contrib.sourceforge.net) or antelope
(antelope.tigris.org) tasks.

Dale

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Dean Schulze<dean_w_schulze@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I anticipate using a simple build.xml with different targets to kick off the Build.java
file passing in whatever parameters correspond to different targets.  The heavy lifting would
be done by the Build.java.  build.xml would be used for parameter passing and for integration
with Eclipse.

> Ant build scripts make simple things like an if .... else difficult and things like changing
the value of a property impossible.  Simple things can be done in xml I only anticipate using
build.xml to invoke the Build.java.

few small, simple examples on the net.  It seemed like one of the responders in that link
you posted was implying that he spoofed the tasks he needed to use? That seems like quite
a bit more work than would be necessary. When I have used ant from java, it was primarily
to control dependencies, but I still had underlying build.xml files that individual targets
were called from, using the java program to control when, handle errors, etc.

> Derek

been a parallel track over the years for Build.java as well as build.xml.
> I asked this same question over at stackoverflow.com:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/972574/replacing-build-xml-with-build-java-using-java-and-the-ant-libraries-as-a-build
> The answers indicate that it isn't difficult to do, but that it is necessary to "spoof"
the project and target objects.
> While it all looks encouraging I haven't seen any actual examples of how to deal with
the undocumented issues mentioned.  Has anyone documented how to do Ant builds from Java?