ant-user mailing list archives

From Eric Fetzer <elstonk...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Use of Sleep
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 14:39:42 GMT
A good piece of the time, David, is allocated to check out of A LOT of code.  It also ftp's
some very large files over a WAN.  As I take over these builds, I will be digging further
in where all the time is going, but for now, I'm just trying to get rid of totally unnecessary
aspects of the build.

________________________________
From: David Weintraub <qazwart@gmail.com>
To: Ant Users List <user@ant.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2009 10:40:37 PM
Subject: Re: Use of Sleep

What do all those <exec> tasks do? Are they really part of the build?

We had a build where we brought up a Websphere server in order to run
our JUnit tests, but that was about 2 minutes of sleep to ensure that
the server was awake before we ran the task.

But, the entire build sans tests took about 2 to 4 minutes. In my
current work, most of our builds take between 1 to 3 minutes. One
project (which everyone admits is an absolute mess) takes about 9
minutes to build.

There's no reason for a build to take longer than 15 minutes. After
that, you can't use it for continuous build testing because the builds
take too long.

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Eric Fetzer <elstonkers@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've seen a lot of folks following <exec> tasks with sleep.  Doesn't the exec
task wait for a return code prior to returning to the caller?  I inherited A BUNCH of Ant
build files that were just RIDDLED with 5 minutes of sleep here 10 minutes of sleep there...
The build takes half of a day to finish when all is said and done.  To me, that is rediculous.
I come from a dot net/NAnt environment where my longest build took 20 minutes and I wasn't
happy with that one.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com