ant-user mailing list archives

From "Ina, Antoine" <>
Subject RE: Doing Ant builds
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:58:37 GMT
I am posing a general question about Ant vs Make vs Batch:
1- What is advantage of Ant script over regular Batch script that calls up the solution files
for all the projects in
   your system tree of projects(for Windows platform)
2- How does Ant handle up and down project dependencies

-----Original Message-----
From: Ashley Williams []
Sent: 2009 Jun 11 12:52 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Replacing build.xml with - Doing Ant builds directlyfrom Java

Hi Dean,

I use this technique frequently as in this example lifted straight
from my code, see below.
All you have to remember is that a top level project owns many targets
which in turn own many tasks,
so just make sure you set up the parent/child references in both

                // create the ant parent project
                Project project = new Project();

                // create the child target
                Target target = new Target();
                project.addBuildListener(new Log4jListener());

                // create the child untar task with gzip compression
                Untar untar = new Untar();
                untar.setDest(new File("."));
                Untar.UntarCompressionMethod method = new

I am also the architect of ProtoJ over at google code
  which builds on ant and other
dependencies to control a project from java rather than script.

- Ashley

On 11 Jun 2009, at 16:28, Dean Schulze wrote:

> The Ant documentation has a section titled "Using Ant Tasks Outside
> of Ant" which gives a teaser for how to use the Ant libraries from
> Java
> code.  In theory it seems simple enough to replace build.xml with
> The Ant documentation hints at some undocumented
> dependencies that I'll have to discover (undocumented from the point
> of
> view of using Ant from within Java).
> Using Java instead of xml to do an Ant build seems so obvious I
> wonder why there hasn't been a parallel track over the years for
> as well as build.xml.
> I asked this same question over at
> The answers indicate that it isn't difficult to do, but that it is
> necessary to "spoof" the project and target objects.
> While it all looks encouraging I haven't seen any actual examples of
> how to deal with the undocumented issues mentioned.  Has anyone
> documented how to do Ant builds from Java?
> Thanks.
> Dean

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally protected under
applicable law. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s). If you are not the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction
of this message is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message