ant-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject ANT enhancements
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 04:56:35 GMT
Sometimes I wrestle with ANT target depends.  Sometimes I like that any dependent target runs
even if the current target will not because of an if/unless condition.  Sometimes, I don't.
 I think the if/unless functionality on a target should be increased:

1. Allow full boolean expressions to be evaluated for if/unless target conditions.  I already
have a property with a value inside, why make me convert it into yet another property where
the value is irrelevant but that is or is not set to be used in an if/unless condition?  Why
make me create another target that this target is dependent on just to perform the boolean
logic and conversion into this new property when the if/unless could perform the evaluation
directly?
2. Make some new attributes on target that perform an if/unless condition on the current target
AS WELL AS its dependent targets.  Why make me add duplicate if/unless conditions all the
way up the hierarchy for all of the dependent targets just to prevent them from executing
as well?  What if those dependent targets already have if/unless conditions, then I must perform
even more work since if/unless conditions do not support full boolean expressions?  (See #1)

---
Shawn Castrianni

and delete all copies of this message.