ant-user mailing list archives

From Michael Ludwig <mil...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: about BOMs
Date Fri, 19 Jun 2009 21:47:01 GMT
Peter Reilly schrieb am 19.06.2009 um 08:05:50 (+0100):
> Please be aware that this is a long standing problem.

> Sun does not allow the BOM and it's UTF-8 reader
> converts it into a ?.

Thanks for bringing this Sun Java bug to my attention.
I wasn't aware of this handicap.

> This is what the ant sql task sees.

Okay. I thought that by indicating the encoding, the
task would dispatch reading to a suitable facility.

> At one stage during the development of java 1.6, the
> UTF-8 reader was changed to ignore the BOM code,
> but this was reverted as it caused some backward
> comparability problems.

I've seen "backward compatibility" being defined as
"knowingly repeating other people's mistakes". Well,
there are pros and cons.

> Note that nearly all XML parsers in java do not use
> the sun UTF-8 reader, and handle the (pointless)
> BOM code correctly.

That's also my experience.

Michael Ludwig