ant-user mailing list archives

From Michael Ludwig <mil...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Doing Ant builds
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:43:07 GMT
Steve Loughran schrieb am 16.06.2009 um 16:47:55 (+0100):
> Michael Ludwig wrote:

> >Okay, so you were talking about Java limitations in general, not Java
> >limitations within the context of an Ant extension?
>
> exactly.

Thanks for clarifying.

> >What you're saying about permissions reminds me of my initial post to
> >this list after discovering that the <delete/> task on Windows will
> >recursively and unconditionally remove directories - even when
> >they're write-protected.
>
> I suspect permissions in Windows are not what you think they are; that
> write protect probably stops you adding stuff inside a directory, not
> deleting it from above.

It doesn't stop me adding stuff inside it; it stops me removing the
directory.

You're partially right, though: I can recursively delete a directory
*containing* the write-protected directory, and it does not trigger a
prompt asking "rm: remove write-protected directory `xxx/yyy'?" as on
Linux. It simply and recursively removes the whole tree, never mind
about dispensable write-protection.

Ant, however, goes one step further: It will remove a write-protected
file, which will not work using Windows tools without force, and it will
even recursively remove a write-protected directory. That's not at all
intuitive, and I think you could argue it could be quite harmful.

Michael Ludwig