ant-user mailing list archives

From Michael Ludwig <mil...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Doing Ant builds
Date Mon, 15 Jun 2009 22:29:07 GMT
Steve Loughran schrieb am 15.06.2009 um 12:40:59 (+0100):
> Michael Ludwig wrote:
> >Steve Loughran schrieb am 12.06.2009 um 11:49:48 (+0100):
> >
> >>we do strive to be more declarative than fully procedural languages,
> >>we don't have loops and so lack full turing-equivalence. There are
> >>also limits to what you can do in java
> >
> >I think I can take this to mean "in Ant extensions (written in
> >Java)". So what are these limits?
>
> getting at file permissions is one big problem; no easy way to
> read/write the unix permissions. <tar> and <untar> lose stuff,
> as does <copy>.

Okay, so you were talking about Java limitations in general, not Java
limitations within the context of an Ant extension?

What you're saying about permissions reminds me of my initial post to
this list after discovering that the <delete/> task on Windows will
recursively and unconditionally remove directories - even when they're
write-protected.

Delete task eagerness on Windows - Michael Ludwig
http://markmail.org/thread/ympweusjg2zrzz47

Maybe respecting write-protection on Windows falls outside the limits of
what the JVM can do.

Michael Ludwig