ant-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Avlesh Singh <avl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replacing build variables in my application property files
Date Wed, 27 May 2009 02:05:56 GMT
>
> "Ant Way" of doing what you want is to use the copy task and then use the
> <filterset> and <filtersfile> sub-tasks to modify your copying.
>

Dumb me!

I am *insisting* on the use of ${build.property} style patterns in my files
and getting rid of doing the replace at all!! Makes sense?

Cheers
Avlesh

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 1:35 AM, David Weintraub <qazwart@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Ant Way" of doing what you want is to use the copy task and then use
> the <filterset> and <filtersfile> sub-tasks to modify your copying.
>
> You right now build the warfile in place, and copying all the files to
> another directory will increase your build time by a minute or two.
> However, it will eliminate the CVS polling issue, simplify your
> build.xml file, and make it easy to implement a "clean" target in your
> build.xml.
>
> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Avlesh Singh <avlesh@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> You mentioned something about having to restore versioned files once
> >> the substitution is done. We don't have to do that because we don't
> >> touch the directories where the files are versioned. Instead, we copy
> >> all the files out to our "target" directory.
> >>
> >
> > Right, I do restore the original version back.
> > I don't have a target location as such, as all I need to do is to create
> a
> > distributable "war". I get your point though. I still feel there should
> an
> > "ant way" of achieving this, where ant should replace all ${
> > build.property.name} with their corresponding values in specified files.
> >
> > Are you by any chance doing MS Visual Studio builds?
> >>
> >
> > Nope.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Avlesh
> >
> > On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 12:03 AM, David Weintraub <qazwart@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Avlesh Singh <avlesh@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> > My approach is very similar to yours, David.
> >> > Would it make sense to have something like an injectBuildProperties
> task
> >> in
> >> > ant?
> >>
> >> You mentioned something about having to restore versioned files once
> >> the substitution is done. We don't have to do that because we don't
> >> touch the directories where the files are versioned. Instead, we copy
> >> all the files out to our "target" directory. It takes longer because
> >> instead of doing the build in place,  you have to copy all those
> >> resource files to the build area.
> >>
> >> However, the extra build time (a few seconds) is worth it because it
> >> eliminates so many headaches such as having to restore files that you
> >> edited which confuses the heck out of the CVS build in Hudson.
> >>
> >> Are you by any chance doing MS Visual Studio builds? If so, you may
> >> want to look at Nant (which is the .NET version of ant).
> >>
> >> --
> >> David Weintraub
> >> qazwart@gmail.com
> >>
> >> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> To unsubscribe, e-mail: user-unsubscribe@ant.apache.org
> >> For additional commands, e-mail: user-help@ant.apache.org
> >>
> >>
> >
>
>
>
> --
> David Weintraub
> qazwart@gmail.com
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: user-unsubscribe@ant.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: user-help@ant.apache.org
>
>

Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message