ant-user mailing list archives

From David Weintraub <qazw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replacing build variables in my application property files
Date Tue, 26 May 2009 20:05:23 GMT
"Ant Way" of doing what you want is to use the copy task and then use
the <filterset> and <filtersfile> sub-tasks to modify your copying.

You right now build the warfile in place, and copying all the files to
another directory will increase your build time by a minute or two.
However, it will eliminate the CVS polling issue, simplify your
build.xml file, and make it easy to implement a "clean" target in your
build.xml.

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Avlesh Singh <avlesh@gmail.com> wrote:

>> You mentioned something about having to restore versioned files once
>> the substitution is done. We don't have to do that because we don't
>> touch the directories where the files are versioned. Instead, we copy
>> all the files out to our "target" directory.
>>

> Right, I do restore the original version back.
> I don't have a target location as such, as all I need to do is to create a
> distributable "war". I get your point though. I still feel there should an
> "ant way" of achieving this, where ant should replace all ${
> build.property.name} with their corresponding values in specified files.
>
> Are you by any chance doing MS Visual Studio builds?
>>

> Nope.
>
> Cheers
> Avlesh
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 12:03 AM, David Weintraub <qazwart@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Avlesh Singh <avlesh@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > My approach is very similar to yours, David.
>> > Would it make sense to have something like an injectBuildProperties task
>> in
>> > ant?
>>
>> You mentioned something about having to restore versioned files once
>> the substitution is done. We don't have to do that because we don't
>> touch the directories where the files are versioned. Instead, we copy
>> all the files out to our "target" directory. It takes longer because
>> instead of doing the build in place,  you have to copy all those
>> resource files to the build area.
>>
>> However, the extra build time (a few seconds) is worth it because it
>> eliminates so many headaches such as having to restore files that you
>> edited which confuses the heck out of the CVS build in Hudson.
>>
>> Are you by any chance doing MS Visual Studio builds? If so, you may
>> want to look at Nant (which is the .NET version of ant).
>>
>> --
>> David Weintraub
>> qazwart@gmail.com

David Weintraub