ant-user mailing list archives

From David Weintraub <qazw...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replacing build variables in my application property files
Date Tue, 26 May 2009 18:33:39 GMT
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 1:29 PM, Avlesh Singh <avlesh@gmail.com> wrote:
> My approach is very similar to yours, David.
> Would it make sense to have something like an injectBuildProperties task in
> ant?

You mentioned something about having to restore versioned files once
the substitution is done. We don't have to do that because we don't
touch the directories where the files are versioned. Instead, we copy
all the files out to our "target" directory. It takes longer because
instead of doing the build in place,  you have to copy all those
resource files to the build area.

However, the extra build time (a few seconds) is worth it because it
eliminates so many headaches such as having to restore files that you
edited which confuses the heck out of the CVS build in Hudson.

Are you by any chance doing MS Visual Studio builds? If so, you may
want to look at Nant (which is the .NET version of ant).

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com