ant-user mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Use of Sleep
Date Sun, 31 May 2009 13:59:05 GMT

Good Morning David-

cruisecontrol will help you with
scheduling
handle dependencies

http://confluence.public.thoughtworks.org/display/CC/CruiseControl+Scheduling+Scenarios

Martin Gainty

responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.

> Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 00:40:37 -0400
> Subject: Re: Use of Sleep
> From: qazwart@gmail.com
> To: user@ant.apache.org
>
> What do all those <exec> tasks do? Are they really part of the build?
>
> We had a build where we brought up a Websphere server in order to run
> our JUnit tests, but that was about 2 minutes of sleep to ensure that
> the server was awake before we ran the task.
>
> But, the entire build sans tests took about 2 to 4 minutes. In my
> current work, most of our builds take between 1 to 3 minutes. One
> project (which everyone admits is an absolute mess) takes about 9
> minutes to build.
>
> There's no reason for a build to take longer than 15 minutes. After
> that, you can't use it for continuous build testing because the builds
> take too long.
>
> On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 11:45 AM, Eric Fetzer <elstonkers@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I've seen a lot of folks following <exec> tasks with sleep.  Doesn't the exec
task wait for a return code prior to returning to the caller?  I inherited A BUNCH of Ant
build files that were just RIDDLED with 5 minutes of sleep here 10 minutes of sleep there...
 The build takes half of a day to finish when all is said and done.  To me, that is rediculous.
 I come from a dot net/NAnt environment where my longest build took 20 minutes and I wasn't
happy with that one.