ant-user mailing list archives

From David Raich <d.ra...@att.net>
Subject Re: AW: ant-contrib with Java 1.4?
Date Wed, 27 May 2009 16:41:12 GMT
If there is a bug in how Java 1.4 handles certain
bytecodes, I'm not sure recompiling would be
helpful.  Note that my Ant project compiles C++
code -- my only use of Ant and Java is to run these C++ builds.

On the other hand, all the Ant binaries I've
installed were probably compiled on a fairly
recent JVM, so if I found a 1.4.2 to compile on
and felt up to rebuilding Ant 1.7.1 itself from
sources -- maybe it could help.  But I think
trying to upgrade the machine is a more direct
approach if there is no straightforward workaround under 1.4.

I'd like to upgrade to at least 1.5, but the HP
swinstall package for it lists a bunch of
prerequisite OS patches.  The machine has been a
valuable resource, and I am a little reluctant to
risk destabilizing it by applying patches.  Can
anyone advise me on how risky such patching
really is?  (HP-UX 11.11, RISC architecture.)