ant-user mailing list archives

From Francis Galiegue <...@one2team.com>
Subject Re: Reset BuildNumber
Date Thu, 07 May 2009 21:03:44 GMT
Le Thursday 07 May 2009 22:41:18 Michael Ludwig, vous avez écrit :
> Francis Galiegue schrieb am 06.05.2009 um 23:23:37 (+0200):
> > <project name="test" basedir="." default="updateBuildNumber">
> > <!-- vim:set ts=4 noexpandtab syn=ant: -->
> >
> >     <taskdef resource="net/sf/antcontrib/antlib.xml"/>
>
> I've become curious why one is supposed to write so many lines of code
> to generate a number, and how it all works, so I copied this script to
> my disk and started Ant on it. But the ant-contrib resource is missing.
> Looking for it on the net, I found two pages none of which contains the
> ant-contrib-x.y.jar, or the sources needed to build it.
>
> * http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/tasks/index.html
>   The download link points to an error on Sourceforge.
>
> * http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/
>   The download link points to sources for cpptasks.jar.
>
> Maybe just temporary errors?
>
> If not, where can I get the sources for ant-contrib.jar?

ant-contrib.sf.net normally gets you there. Otherwise, you can try JPackage
(http://www.jpackage.org). Download the source or binary package (at your
leisure) and extract it with rpm2cpio (if you download in RPM form - as I
have never worked with Debian, I don't know how to extract a .deb package).

As to why so much code is needed... Well, not that much if _AND ONLY IF_ you
use ant-contrib to its full extent, as Erik demonstrated, and which is why I
wish that someone undertook the effort to fully integrate ant-contrib into
base ant (which, again I don't have the skills to do). Even less code would
be required if ant knew how to manipulate bit masks ;) and if it had builtin
capabilities to do arithmetic - which it doesn't.

And that's where make is at the same time better and worse: make can "make"
full use of whatever utilities are available on a Unix platform, and such a
feat would have been MUCH shorter to achieve with make and the appropriate
tools. OTOH, make is a Unix "legacy" tool and pretty much assumes a Unix
environment and all its goodies (spell: printf, find, cp, tr, expr, sed, seq,
and yes, even the goold old cp, which is much more powerful for some tasks
than anything ant, and others... And, of course, the shell and all of its
programming abilities, which ant doesn't match at the moment) and won't work
well on non Unix-like environment, unlike ant.

--
Francis Galiegue
fge@one2team.com