ant-user mailing list archives

From Sven Köhler <sven.koeh...@gmail.com>
Subject incremental compilation
Date Sat, 21 Mar 2009 13:52:17 GMT
Hi,

according to the docs it seems, that ant is (still) not suitable for
incremental compilation. Is that true?

Quote from the docs of the depend task:

The most obvious example of these limitations is that the task can't
tell which classes to recompile when a constant primitive data type
exported by other classes is changed. For example, a change in the
definition of something like

public final class Constants {
   public final static boolean DEBUG=false;
}

will not be picked up by other classes.

Yes, the good constant-inlining. So there is really nothing implemented
to detect that? That is: if I don't do an "ant clean" once in a while,
then i will have inconsistent class files?

I'm rather amazed. But the trouble seems to be, that modern javac
doesn't generate any dependency information in addition to or inside the
class files. Is that right?

Regards,
   Sven