ant-user mailing list archives

From Troy Bull <troy.b...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: Ant 1.7.1 hangs on windows
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:47:37 GMT
On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 7:45 AM, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:

> Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>
>> I just installed ant on a new windows XP workstation. I have the following
>>>  settings:
>>>
>>> ANT_HOME=C:\bin\apache-ant-1.7.1
>>> JAVA_HOME=C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_12
>>>
>>> If I type
>>> ant -version it runs, reports the version then hangs with NTVDM.exe
>>> taking  half the cpu. Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?
>>>

>> http://www.2-spyware.com/file-ntvdm-exe.html shows that ntvdm.exe is
>> responsible
>> for running 16-bit application on 32-bit Windows and it is started when
>> running the
>> first 16-bit application.
>>
>> Could you check if Ant starts that? Try rebooting your computer, start
>> the taskmanager, locate
>> the (not running ;) ntvdm.exe, start Ant and relocate ntvdm.exe ...
>>

> ntvdm is a process that runs win16 apps, it starts when the first win16 app
> is run, then hangs around. I would be really surprised by Ant (or java)
> having anything to with this, unless ANT.BAT pointed to something else, or
> something in the batch file was running something wierd. But this is a new
> XP workstation you say? Very odd
>
> As it hangs
>  -what does jps -v say? This lists running java processes

I managed to track down the solution to this.  In my ant.bat there is a
check right after ant runs something like  (this is from memory this took
place on a different machine"

if not "%OS%" == "Windows_NT" goto onError

well my %OS% == "WINNT"  so I changed this line to check for WINNT instead
of Windows_NT, now after ant runs it goes wherever it is supposed to for
winnt systems and it works perfectly.  No idea what was in the "onError"
block that was hanging my ntvdm obviously some 16 bit task, once I found the
solution I stopped looking and never went through the "onError" block.