ant-user mailing list archives

From Brian Pontarelli <br...@pontarelli.com>
Subject Re: incremental compilation
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:29:22 GMT
How large is your codebase that you are looking to use incremental
compilation. Most java compilers are pretty fast and re-compiling 1000
classes doesn't take very long (couple seconds).

The issue is that the tool that determines if a class needs to be re-
compiled must fully understand the structure of all the other classes
in the compilation unit. This generally means parsing the source or
the bytecode. This requires almost as much work as compiling the
entire codebase again.

On the flip side, most IDEs keep a graph of dependencies that they are
constantly rebuilding as you work. Making this same sort of thing work
for Ant calling javac would mean writing out a file somewhere that
stored the graph and loading it up before the build runs. The trick is
to keep that graph up to date. What it would probably mean is that you
probably end up spending more time rebuilding the graph and then
compiling during a build.

Unless you could hook into the graph that the IDE creates, you'll
probably better off just re-compiling the code base.

-bp