ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: AW: Ant 1.7.1 hangs on windows
Date Wed, 18 Mar 2009 12:45:28 GMT
Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
>> I just installed ant on a new windows XP workstation. I have
>> the following
>> settings:
>>
>> ANT_HOME=C:\bin\apache-ant-1.7.1
>> JAVA_HOME=C:\Java\jdk1.6.0_12
>>
>> If I type
>> ant -version it runs, reports the version then hangs with
>> NTVDM.exe taking
>> half the cpu. Does anyone have any idea what might cause this?
>

> http://www.2-spyware.com/file-ntvdm-exe.html shows that ntvdm.exe is
> responsible
> for running 16-bit application on 32-bit Windows and it is started when
> running the
> first 16-bit application.
>
> Could you check if Ant starts that? Try rebooting your computer, start
> the taskmanager, locate
> the (not running ;) ntvdm.exe, start Ant and relocate ntvdm.exe ...

ntvdm is a process that runs win16 apps, it starts when the first win16
app is run, then hangs around. I would be really surprised by Ant (or
java) having anything to with this, unless ANT.BAT pointed to something
else, or something in the batch file was running something wierd. But
this is a new XP workstation you say? Very odd

As it hangs
  -what does jps -v say? This lists running java processes