ant-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: zip/tar and file permissions
Date Wed, 04 Mar 2009 05:44:53 GMT
I just wrote a test program for these new methods in Java 1.6 and they work great.  You are
right that they don't give you full granularity into user, group, and other, but they do allow
setting just the user or everybody (which sets user, group, and other).  I think that is sufficient
for my needs.

---
Shawn Castrianni

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 10:44 PM
To: user@ant.apache.org
Subject: Re: zip/tar and file permissions

On 2009-03-03, Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castrianni@halliburton.com> wrote:

> Java 1.6 seems to have available:

> canRead
> canWrite
> canExecute (new to 1.6)
> setReadable (new to 1.6)
> setWritable (new to 1.6)
> setExecutable (new to 1.6)

which is insufficient since it only get/sets the bits for the current
user and not the owner/group or "other" permissions on Unix.

> which makes me think this is now possible to do in a platform
> independent way from ANT.

If Ant wouldn't target JDK 1.4, that is 8-)

Yes, it would be possible to have a Java 6+ extension of
zip/tarfileset that could try to autodetect settings, agreed.  Want to
file an enhancement request in bugzilla?  If you wanted to implement
it, that would be even better.

Stefan