ant-user mailing list archives

From Dominique Devienne <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Optional tasks aren't available - why?
Date Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:45:13 GMT
On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Troy Telford <ttelford.groups@gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope this is a quick question:  I'm trying to compile some java code that
> uses a few of the optional tasks in ant.
>
> I thought when I had downloaded the ant binary distribution, it would include
> the optional tasks; however, I can't seem to get at them.  And the
> documentation is oddly silent - all kinds of things about how to use the
> tasks, but not a word about what to do when they can't be found...
>
> Does anybody have some documentation I can read on what I need to do to fix
> ant so it can find the optional tasks?

These tasks are optional because they depend on code outside Ant or
the JDK or the XML parsers bundled with Ant. The tasks' code itself is
part of Ant, and packaged/released in these ant-something.jar files,
but unless your class path also contains the jars these tasks depend
on, you can't use those tasks. That's the same story to compile
against them, you need the jars they depend on. And which jars you
need in documentation in the dependencies section of the manual, and
sometimes in the tasks' doc entry itself.

Main section http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html talks about
this, and refers to
http://ant.apache.org/manual/install.html#librarydependencies. --DD