ant-user mailing list archives

From "Brown, Carlton" <Carlton.Br...@compucredit.com>
Subject RE: Ant causes huge freezes in Eclipse
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:12:58 GMT
Thanks for your reply.  I tried disabling those preferences, and none of
them seemed to control this behavior.

-----Original Message-----
From: Darin Swanson [mailto:Darin_Swanson@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 12:53 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Ant causes huge freezes in Eclipse

You can file the bug against Eclipse Platform Ant at
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi
but from memory I am pretty sure this issue is already logged but don't
hesitate to do a quick check and file away.

I would suggest trying turning off some of the preferences to see if you
can squeeze out better performance:
        Window>Preferences>Ant>Editor>Content Assist>Provide proposals
for user defined tasks (may lock referenced JAR files)
        Window>Preferences>Ant>Editor>Problems>Ignore Buildfile problems
        Window>Preferences>Ant>Editor>Problems>Names (add in the name of
the particularly problematic build file(s)
        Window>Preferences>Ant>Editor>Problems: play with the severity
(turn to ignore) of the configurations to see if you can improve the
performance

Thanks in advance
Darins
http://runnerwhocodes.blogspot.com/

"Brown, Carlton" <Carlton.Brown@compucredit.com>
01/28/2009 09:30 AM
Please respond to
"Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>

"Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Ant causes huge freezes in Eclipse

I have noticed that when using the Ant editor in Eclipse, occasionally I
get huge freezes (30 seconds or more).   With the help of my trusty
packet sniffer, I have traced this to the fact that my Ant script has
references to a networked filesystem.   It seems that when I'm not
running the build file, just sitting there editing, the plugin is
*continuously executing*, reaching out to the network file system to
resolve the fileset.   And the fileset is both deep and large.

I presume that this behavior is in order to resolve the build file for
code completion, property value tooltips, syntax errors, etc.   This is
a Good Thing.   However, attempting to go out and traverse huge filesets
in the name of code completion is a seriously dysfunctional behavior.
I have stronger words but I'll leave it at that :)

Probably we can blame the plugin rather than Ant core, but I wasn't sure
so I ask here first.    First, does anyone know how to disable this
behavior while using the Ant plugin in Eclipse?  Second, what is the
best place to file this bug?  This is Ant 1.7.0 in Eclipse 3.4.

Thanks,
Carlton