ant-user mailing list archives

From patrick wyss <pw...@ergonomics.ch>
Subject ant for and foreach tasks use them or not
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 14:43:23 GMT

hi there,

i have the reqirement to do a java call for each file in a filelist.

first i tought i'd use the "Apply" task, but then again i do not realy want
to start a new process and load a new JVM etc. for each file i handle.

so next i tried with macrodef but this gets rather clumsy when a lot of
files are handled as well (when i first saw the macrodef examples in the ant
documentation i thougth it would unroll the filesets...)

so now i found for and foreach from the ant-contrib
*but*
1) i do not want to install additional tools if not absolutely necessary
2) some of the other tasks seem rather obscure to me (AntCallBack,
RunTarget, Throw) so i'm a bit worried of the quality of the contributions
3) for and foreach are existing for a long time already and seem to do
pretty useful things. so why are they not part of ant itself? is there a
more ant-y way of doing what they do?
(appart from writing my own ant task...)

any help appreciated