ant-user mailing list archives

From Francis Galiegue <>
Subject Re: ant for and foreach tasks use them or not
Date Thu, 08 Jan 2009 15:10:34 GMT
Le jeudi 08 janvier 2009, patrick wyss a écrit :
> hi there,
> i have the reqirement to do a java call for each file in a filelist.
> first i tought i'd use the "Apply" task, but then again i do not realy want
> to start a new process and load a new JVM etc. for each file i handle.
> so next i tried with macrodef but this gets rather clumsy when a lot of
> files are handled as well (when i first saw the macrodef examples in the ant
> documentation i thougth it would unroll the filesets...)
> so now i found for and foreach from the ant-contrib
> *but*
> 1) i do not want to install additional tools if not absolutely necessary
> 2) some of the other tasks seem rather obscure to me (AntCallBack,
> RunTarget, Throw) so i'm a bit worried of the quality of the contributions
> 3) for and foreach are existing for a long time already and seem to do
> pretty useful things. so why are they not part of ant itself? is there a
> more ant-y way of doing what they do?
> (appart from writing my own ant task...)
> any help appreciated

I've used ant-contrib since the beginning and haven't had a single problem
with it. I use for and foreach extensively, among others. I made a request
for a merge and the answer was no, due to different development models
between ant and ant-contrib.

Fine by me, but ant-contrib addresses so many limitations that I cannot
imagine working without it anymore; and yes, it's very stable. As far as I'm
concerned, you needn't hesitate.

Francis Galiegue
Ingénieur système
Mob : +33 (0) 6 83 87 78 75