ant-user mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: smoke testing after ant?
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 22:02:01 GMT

yes thats a good point on iMake

On the java side of the house I like junit HttpUnit and testsgen which will read your java
code
and automatically create wither junit or httpunit testcases for you
which if you configured your build correctly can be part of the build e.g.
<d/l source from repository>
<javac>
<create  testcase>
<compile testcase>
<run testcase>
<generate xml listing all categories of errors>
<XSLTTransform of XML to html using some predefined template>

Some of these are listed at:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/junit/

HTH
Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
within this transmission.

> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 13:41:01 -0800
> From: purplehayz@earthlink.net
> To: user@ant.apache.org; user@ant.apache.org
> Subject: Re: smoke testing after ant?
>
> You don't have to switch build tools; those links were probably provided to give you
a place to start looking at examples.

> The simplest way to run a smoke test is to use the <exec> task to run whatever
smoke test tool you prefer.  If you're favorite automated test tool has an Ant task already
available (perhaps in the optional tasks or from the creator of the tool), you can use that
of course.

> You may wish to rearrange your build slightly - you may wish to have a build target that
builds a development version, and then another target that invokes the development build and
then does a test deployment (you might use the ftp task if you're putting it on another host)
and executes the smoke test.  You might want to wrap the "deploy and test" bits to make sure
they only happen serially (you don't want two people to deploy to the same place at nearly
the same time, or even until the first test completes).

> Again, the tool doesn't matter, you could use imake for example :-)
>
> I've done this in a very, very past life (probably 5 - 7 years ago) with a custom test
harness we wrote for an integration tool kit - worked great, tested the deployment and ran
a smoke test all at once; if you can do local deployments then your engineers can run the
same thing when they make "complex, nasty" changes and help verify that what they check in
is valid.