ant-user mailing list archives

From "Karr, David" <david.k...@wamu.net>
Subject Use Ivy or Maven Ant tasks for dependencies?
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 00:38:02 GMT
I've used both Ant and Maven, and I'm convinced that Maven is a burden
that is only worthwhile if you really need all of its features.  One of
the big reasons people use Maven is for dependency download and
management (and sometimes the only reason).  That's one thing it's good
for.  In the Ant world, I've noticed Ivy as an alternative, if
dependency management is all you want from it.  I recently noticed that
it's just as easy to use Ant for your build scripts, but simply use the
Maven Ant tasks to get dependencies.  I believe that Ivy still provides
some other advantages, like referencing non-standard repositories, but I
don't know how important that is.

>From the Ant-ers point of view, are there any other advantages or
disadvantages to either approach (using Ivy, or using the Maven Ant
tasks)?