ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is there a way to make the get task timezone aware?
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:38:05 GMT
Settle, William wrote:
> Thanks for the responses guys.  Looks like I have some debugging to do.
>
> Neither one of you said it explicitly, but your responses imply that the
> <get> task IS timezone aware if it is communicating with a server that
> supplies the information it needs in the response header.  If that's the
> case, then it will be well worth the time to find out why our apache
> server is not returning that info.  I'm hoping it will just be a
> configuration change.

Not quite. what happens is the client is meant to send an ISO timestamp like

if-modified-since: 2008-10-30-14:43:00+01:00

with the TZ offset at the end. The server is meant to look at that,
parse it and then compare it with its own clock.

> Do either of you (or anyone for that matter) use the <get
> usetimestamp="true".../> task successfully against http servers in
> different time zones?  If so, what http server are you using?

The usual problem is that one of the machines doesnt think it is in the
right TZ; the clock may be right, but it thinks it is in GMT or Pacific
time when it isn't. Another one is that sometimes Java is buggy about
parsing timezones (yes, really!), or even that one of the boxes things
summertime has ended already. This week is one of those times of year
where any summertime/wintertime bugs show up. Has the bug just surfaced?

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/