ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is there a way to make the get task timezone aware?
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 14:51:18 GMT
Mark Salter wrote:
> Settle, William wrote:
>
>> Is this an issue with the <get> task, the apache server on the other
>> side or something I have not configured on the client or server side?
> I did read in my google search that Apache does/did not return last
> modified information by default, but this might not be the case for your
> setup.
>
> The get task can only work with the data it receives, so I think
> initially you should take a closer look at the http headers being
> returned from the remote servers.
>
> Wireshark is a tool I use to trace my network.  Can you use whatever
> tools you have to trace the network communication taking during a 'good'
> and 'bad' build?  This will enable you to at least examine the request
> and response headers on the HTTP exchange and eliminate the server
> exchanges.

I'd expect that <get> looks at the timestamp of the artifact and sets
the if-modified-since header on the GET; the far end gets to return
not-modified.

1. someone would have to look at that header and see if it includes
enough TZ info -and that it was accurate
2. the HTTP spec would say whether or not this was actually correct

As well as wireshark, logging proxies are handy -tcpmon is a java one
from Apache Axis.