ant-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Build in multiple java versions using Ant
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:25:58 GMT
scuzzie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a project written in NetBeans 6.1 that I need to be able to compile
> on demand using any JDK version from 1.4.2, on a machine that does not have
> NetBeans installed (but does have Ant of course). The app compiles under
> 1.4.2 and up using the Ant xml files generated by NetBeans. At the moment,
> the options are 1.4.2/1.5/1.6 as they are the JDKs that are installed on the
> machine. The application uses Swing so has a couple of dependant jars.
>
> Modifying the xml build files is not an option. Specifying a properties file
> from the Ant command-line is fine, and I have had to do this anyway (as well
> as copying the swing and NetBeans copylibs jars to the machine). The file is
> autogenerated and is created automatically before calling Ant.
>
> Are there properties I can add to my properties file to specify which
> version of the SDK to compile with? Any other suggestions?

You can point Ant at a different Java version by setting JAVA_HOME. You
also have to make sure that the Java it executes is the right one, which
can usually be done by running $JAVA_HOME/bin/java .

You could have a wrapper build.xml file that does this by using <exec>
and setting up the environment variables for the right JDK