ant-user mailing list archives

From "Settle, William" <>
Subject RE: Is there a way to make the get task timezone aware?
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:26:55 GMT
Thanks for the responses guys.  Looks like I have some debugging to do.

Neither one of you said it explicitly, but your responses imply that the <get> task
IS timezone aware if it is communicating with a server that supplies the information it needs
in the response header.  If that's the case, then it will be well worth the time to find out
why our apache server is not returning that info.  I'm hoping it will just be a configuration

Do either of you (or anyone for that matter) use the <get usetimestamp="true".../> task
successfully against http servers in different time zones?  If so, what http server are you

From: Steve Loughran
Sent: Thu 10/23/2008 9:51 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: Is there a way to make the get task timezone aware?

Mark Salter wrote:
> Settle, William wrote:
>> Is this an issue with the <get> task, the apache server on the other
>> side or something I have not configured on the client or server side?
> I did read in my google search that Apache does/did not return last
> modified information by default, but this might not be the case for your
> setup.
> The get task can only work with the data it receives, so I think
> initially you should take a closer look at the http headers being
> returned from the remote servers.
> Wireshark is a tool I use to trace my network.  Can you use whatever
> tools you have to trace the network communication taking during a 'good'
> and 'bad' build?  This will enable you to at least examine the request
> and response headers on the HTTP exchange and eliminate the server
> exchanges.

I'd expect that <get> looks at the timestamp of the artifact and sets
the if-modified-since header on the GET; the far end gets to return

1. someone would have to look at that header and see if it includes
enough TZ info -and that it was accurate
2. the HTTP spec would say whether or not this was actually correct

As well as wireshark, logging proxies are handy -tcpmon is a java one
from Apache Axis.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose,

persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.