ant-user mailing list archives

From "Pareti, Joseph" <Joseph.Par...@hp.com>
Subject RE: what does ant really use?
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2008 17:51:13 GMT
Yes of course I have jdk 1.5.0_02  and JAVA_HOME is set too ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Gainty [mailto:mgainty@hotmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2008 11:12 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: RE: what does ant really use?

it is assumed you already installed the JDK for your operating system first..then set JAVA_HOME
to the folder you installed

without the JDK installation..any distro of ANT wont work

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Martin Gainty
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
within this transmission.

> From: Joseph.Pareti@hp.com
> To: user@ant.apache.org
> Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:14:47 +0000
> Subject: RE: what does ant really use?
>
> Yes I am aware that there are symlinks, so I followed them to the point that I am almost
100% sure there was neither javac nor gcj on the system disk. So how can ant still compile?
Does it have a "bundled" gcj ?

They are only links to the real ones which in fedora (and probably RH) located in /usr/share/jvm/<java
implementation>/bin/. In fedora (and again probably in RH) there is an "alternatives" application
which allows you to choose which installed version of java you are using rather than renaming
binaries. Should also warn you that although RH is supported longer than most and in general
rock stable the software is often quite old because i happen to know that more recent versions
of gcj support java 1.5. Hope this all helps you in the right direction.