ant-user mailing list archives

From "Pareti, Joseph" <Joseph.Par...@hp.com>
Subject RE: what does ant really use?
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:14:47 GMT
Yes I am aware that there are symlinks, so I followed them to the point that I am almost 100%
sure there was neither javac nor gcj on the system disk. So how can ant still compile? Does
it have a "bundled" gcj ?

-----Original Message-----
From: John5342 [mailto:john5342@googlemail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 11:58 AM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Re: what does ant really use?

If you changed the name of gcj and javac in /usr/bin they are not the actualy executables.
They are only links to the real ones which in fedora (and probably RH) located in /usr/share/jvm/<java
implementation>/bin/. In fedora (and again probably in RH) there is an "alternatives" application
which allows you to choose which installed version of java you are using rather than renaming
binaries. Should also warn you that although RH is supported longer than most and in general
rock stable the software is often quite old because i happen to know that more recent versions
of gcj support java 1.5. Hope this all helps you in the right direction.