ant-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Castrianni <Shawn.Castria...@halliburton.com>
Subject RE: Ant Build Performance under Windows XP versus Vista
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 04:19:01 GMT
Yes, I have seen performance problems with Vista.  My main problem was that Vista always seemed
to be doing stuff in the background that I wasn't aware of.  I did know about the Indexing
and other services that Vista runs and I disabled them, yet still my laptop fan would always
be running trying to cool the CPU down when the machine was supposedly idle.  I was 99% sure
I didn't have a virus so I didn't know what was going on.  I ultimately reverted back to XP
and everything is great.  I tried Vista 1 year ago so it was still fairly new without SP1.
 Maybe it was just buggy back then??

Sorry, I don't have anything concrete for you, but I wouldn't be surprised if the problem
was all the background crap that Vista runs.  Maybe you can go to black viper's website follow
his suggestions and disable all unnecessary services to speed things up.

---
Shawn Castrianni

-----Original Message-----
From: rat12345 [mailto:rat12345@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 7:07 PM
To: Ant Users List
Subject: Ant Build Performance under Windows XP versus Vista

All,

I have a large project (10,000+ Java 5 classes) in over 50 modules.   When
building the project on an IBM Thinkpad T42 running XP, the build takes ~4
minutes.   When building the project on a T61 running Vista, the build takes
over 7 minutes.

Has anyone else seen performance problems under Vista? (Spare me any Windows
bashing please.)   Or can anyone point me to links for others that seen this
kind of issue?  (I couldn't find any.)

Rat12345