ant-user mailing list archives

From David W <davidw...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Search a folder automatically?
Date Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:29:34 GMT
Hi David,

Thanks so much for your reply. I use apache-ant-1.7.1 on Linux. I found that my old Java source
code still got compiled and run even though I left the old corresponding compiled class file
there.

What I wanted Ant to do is to check a folder continuously (or check the folder once every
3 or 5 minutes) to see if a new source code comes. If it is, then it goes to do more work.
Otherwise it just either continue to search or go to sleep again. Is this possible?

Thanks again,

David W.

--- On Tue, 8/26/08, David Weintraub <qazwart@gmail.com> wrote:

From: David Weintraub <qazwart@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Search a folder automatically?
To: "Ant Users List" <user@ant.apache.org>, davidw589@yahoo.com
Date: Tuesday, August 26, 2008, 10:03 AM

Take a look at "filesets". Also, in the <javac> task, you can
specify
a "src" directory. All *.java files in that directory will get
compiled.

If someone creates a new *.java file in the "src" directory, and did
not delete the corresponding *.class files, then the <javac> task will
only compile that new *.java file. If you change the source code in
one *.java file, the <javac> task will only compile that one file and
leave the others alone (as long as you didn't delete the corresponding
*.class files).

Almost all Ant tasks use timestamps to check whether or not it needs
to do a particular task. For example, <copy> won't copy files if the
files in the destination directory have a newer timestamp than the
files in the source directory. <jar> won't rejar files if the
timestamp of the jarfile is newer than all the source files that you
specified are in that jarfile.

Take a look at the <javac> tasks below:

<javac
    src="${source.dir}"
    dest="${dest.dir}"
    classpath="${classpath}"/>

<javac dest="${dest.dir}">
    <src>
        <fileset dir="${source.dir}"/>
    </src>
    <classpath>
         <fileset dir="${class.dir}"/>
    </classpath>
</javac>

First of all, I always specify a "dest" directory. That way, I can
easily create a clean target which simply deletes the ${dest.dir}.

The first one uses a single "src" directory (which isn't
uncommon).
The second form allows me to specify multiple source directories, and
allows me to just put all the files needed for compiling into a single
${class.dir}. To change the classpath, all I have to do is change the
files in the ${class.dir}.

I hope this answers your question.

--
David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:30 AM, David W <davidw589@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie in Ant field so I appreciate any replies from you.
>
> What I want to do is to let Ant search a folder automatically. If a piece
of source code (say, Java source code) is put into that folder, then Ant finds
the code and begin to do more work. Can anybody tell me how to make Ant to