ant-user mailing list archives

From Alexey Solofnenko <alexey.solofne...@symyx.com>
Subject Re: Enforcing "depends" order for 3rd-party targets?
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 22:51:07 GMT
I had to update a lot my build scripts in order for them to run in
parallel mode with my own parallel executor. The usual problem was a
missing dependency. Out of normal order execution breaks in random
places and without careful review of all targets, it is difficult to fix
all of them. I was thinking about external  target order too, but the
ordering logic became too complex when there are several targets setting
different orders on other targets. For example, clean build could be
"clean;build", meaning first run "clean" and later "build".
Unfortunately usually "clean" and "build" targets depend on other
targets, so the rule should be translated into

{depends(clean) ^ depends(build)} -> {depends(clean) - (depends(clean) ^
depends(build))} -> {depends(build) - (depends(clean) ^ depends(build))}"

 This effectively means that all targets in {depends(clean) -
(depends(clean) ^ depends(build))} should depend on all targets in
{depends(clean) ^ depends(build)}.... And it is assuming that none of
the other targets impose other ordering rules. However it is an
important feature that is required for a real parallel executor. If you
know a solution, please let me know.

- Alexey.