ant-user mailing list archives

From "Dominique Devienne" <ddevie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Enforcing "depends" order for 3rd-party targets?
Date Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:46:00 GMT
On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 4:09 PM, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:
> <target name="one" depends="internal, external"/>
>
> how do I guarantee that "internal" gets executed before "external" if
> "external" is declared by some 3rd-party script I have no control over (that
> is, I can't add depends="internal" to "external").

But default that is what happens. In theory, dependencies of a target
could be executed in parallel or a different order (depending on the
dependencies' dependencies that is), but in practice Ant's
DefaultExecutor makes sure internal is executed before external*. This
behavior could be overridden by using another executor (search for
executor in http://ant.apache.org/manual/running.html and the mailing
list too). --DD

* well there could be other higher-level targets which could
depends="external, one", taking precedence over one's
depends="internal, external". Ant does a topological sort of the
top-level target(s) called, so a non-top-level target could have its
specified dependency order changed by one "higher-up".