ant-user mailing list archives

From Jeremy Hanna <jeremy_ha...@mac.com>
Subject Misleading error message from tar task
Date Sat, 05 Jul 2008 19:57:19 GMT
I was just wondering why the tar task has a kind of misleading error
message and how I would fix it or report it to be fixed.

Apparently, if the tar task cannot find any files to include in the
destination, it just reports that there is nothing to do, that the tar
file is up to date.

A previous thread talked about this in ant 1.3 here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ant-user/200108.mbox/%3Cm3d769npbs.fsf@bodewig.bost.de%3E

I found the same thing happens in ant 1.7.

What would need to happen to change that from the generic message
which is probably a default message to something more appropriate like
WARNING: no input files found, blah.tar.gz not created.  I would think
throwing an error would throw some people's existing ant targets off,
but a more accurate warning might be nice for debugging problems like
this.

Jeremy