ant-user mailing list archives

From JimCant <jc...@head.cfa.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Pass Quotes to arg line
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:21:34 GMT

The ant manual, of all things, says the following:
    It is highly recommended to avoid the line version when possible. Ant
will try to split the command
   line in a way similar to      what a (Unix) shell would do, but may
create something that is v
   different from what you expect under some circumstances.
   Examples
         <arg value="-l -a"/>
   is a single command-line argument containing a space character, not
separate commands "-l" and "-a".
           <arg line="-l -a"/>
   This is a command line with two separate arguments, "-l" and "-a".

Using a separate <arg value... for each argument makes the space issue to
away.  See the 'exec' task and look for the link to command line arguements.