ant-user mailing list archives

From "Howard Lewis Ship" <hls...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: doubt in property
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2008 14:42:53 GMT
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 7:22 AM,  <Irfan.Sayed@t-systems.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> I was trying to analyze following two lines.
>

> <property name="catcs_log.file"
> location="${log.dir}/db_catcs.log"/>
>
> <property name="rules"                       value="prs_db.rules"/>
>

> Following are my doubts
>

> 1: is it necessary to write .file in the property name in the first
> line??

This is a common convention, to suffix a property with an indicator of
what it is :".file", ".dir", ".path", etc.

> 2: Both are properties then why we are sometime using value and sometime
> location??

They do different things; the documentation is pretty clear on this;
they both set a property but the value assigning will vary dependening
on the variation.  location is used to assign an absolute path name,
whereas value just does normal substitutions.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship