ant-user mailing list archives

From "Tim Visher" <tim.vis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Storing all libs in SCM?
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 14:16:40 GMT
Thanks David.

Clearly my misunderstanding was in the use of the classpath tag.  I
tried to use that but was unable to get it work.  I'll try sometime
soon.

Do I understand that you're not a fan of dependency management from
the likes of Ivy or Maven then?  Gilles recommended that I look into
Ivy and I hadn't yet so I went and did that this morning and it looks
pretty intriguing.  One thing I noticed right off the bat was that it
did not have javaee.jar (at least not that I could find) available.
However, it did have junit.jar.  The 4 dependencies that I have at the
moment which are not in the jdk are javaee.jar, mail.jar,
derbyclient.jar, and junit.jar.  I think there's a breakdown somewhere
in my understanding about how to make the 'standard' jars available to
ant.  What started me down this whole path was that I could not use
any of the JEE classes in the System.  Right now I have no CLASSPATH
variable but I can still use all of the standard JDK libs, javac just
seems to know about them.  Is there a way to do this with the JEE
classes as well?

Beyond that, the other question I would have about dependency
management (with something like Ivy vs. Manually) is how you would go
about SCMing that.  It seems like a 'dangerous' thing to allow an
outside entity to manage all of your dependencies for you.  You're not
guaranteed that a particular jar will always be there, you need an
internet connection to get to it (at least at first), etc. etc.  Is
there something I'm missing there?  Or is that the major downfall of
using a dependency management tool?

Thanks so much for your help!